ice cream: what's your scoop?
so, before last night's serena ryder show, several of us were discussing ice cream -- specifically, ice cream as dinner. and, all day today, i've been jonesing for some mint chocolate-chip. badly. unfortunately, there isn't a baskin robbins anywhere around here and, even if there were, i have a hard time shelling out $3 for a single, microscopic scoop of anything.
anyway, this all brings me to my question for today: what's your favourite flavour of ice cream?
please post your pick in the comments section, with or without reasons for your choice.
c'mon, you know you wanna! don't just surf off this blog thinking, "well, i do love a good lemon ice from time to time..." without sharing that with the rest of us. who doesn't love a good ice-cream discussion?
go!

21 comments:
ahhhhhh... my kind of question.
when i'm out: laura secord french crisp.
at home: haagen-dazs coffee.
dammit! not i want ice cream.
um, that last sentence was supposed to be NOW i want ice cream.
I can do ice cream any way, any time. I like things in my ice cream--almonds, cherries, hunks of dark chocolate--but it is also fine with me if I have creamy coffee ice cream in a puddle of chocolate syrup. If I am buying Ben & Jerry's, I will probably choose Chunky Monkey. Baskin Robbins used to make a German Chocolate Cake ice cream that I would die for. If I get into a Cold Stone shop, I get carried away on the ingredients--coconut (NOT toasted), almonds, chocolate syrup, chocolate chunks, touch of marshmallow fluff, IN (omg) now I can't choose the flavor of ice cream! My grandson is audacious at Cold Stone: strawberry ice cream with crushed Oreos in the waffle cone. And a good spumoni puts me over the top. Gotta hit the freezer. Bye now!
Hmmm...one of life's great questions.
At home: Ben & Jerry's Half Baked or Hagen Dazs Cookie Dough Dynamo.
Out at Hollywood Gelato (fav neighbourhood spot): either one scoop of lemon merenge pie and one of raspberry.
At Kawartha Dairy (cottage stop): Sugar Shack maple
When I feel like one of the basics: Prailines and Cream.
I'm a renaissance kind of ice cream gal ;-)
you know, i was just going to post that americans have an unfair advantage where this question is concerned because they have many more varieties of ben & jerry's available to them (in pints and in the B&J retail stores), along with the cold stone creameries (and all of their ilk), plus edy's and a ton of other manufacturers we simply don't get up here.
then i read denette's mention of french crisp.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
(lou, it has lots of good stuff in it!)
canadians still have less from which to choose, but there *are* some delicious gems in our bowls.
i would KILL to try one of those stone cold concoctions. every time i see them -- usually on the food network -- i can't control the drooling.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Coldstone vanilla with brownies, caramel sauce and oreos!
or Tiger at Baskin-Robbins...
Now I want ice cream too!
Coming soon to Ottawa and Toronto, with already two locations in London, ON--(drumroll) Marble Slab Creamery! We have these in California, and though not as prolific as CS, they also mix up whatever your heart desires.
on behalf of ice cream-loving canucks everywhere: thanks for the info, lou!
i went to a cold stone-esque independent ice cream shop while in florida and had (pink!) mint ice cream with oreo bits blended in, served in a giant waffle cone. OMG, so good.
When the mint ice cream is pink, we call it peppermint!
so did they. :-)
In spite of appearances, Florida IS in America, isn't it. :-D
but, then, what do you call it when the mint ice cream is white? (e.g., breyer's)
we still call it mint. ;-)
We call that "white mint." {GG}
I'd say two of my favorite flavah flavs are Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Green Tea ice cream (those are separate flavors). Green Tea is hard to find, but I just discovered that the sushi place across from work has it! Yesss... BTW, Stephanie is one of those who will have ice cream and a bowl of popcorn for dinner. A box of Triscuits and a beer is more my easy-dinner style. :)
My very favorite is Cold Stone's banana ice cream with strawberries and miniature chocolate chips folded in. Mmmmmmm!!!
green tea ice cream is surprisingly common here. even baskin robbins sells it. and i LOVE that steph, the CHEF (!), has popcorn and ice cream for dinner! :-D
biker, that combo sounds a little like blue bunny's...wait, is it blue bunny? it's something bunny...banana split ice cream. just in case you want a big bunch of it to take home!
Blue Bunny. Yes. I just finished a bowl of Blue Bunny Brownie Fudge Fantasy. Okay, I have to admit, I should maybe not be in this survey as I have ice cream issues, and I actually ate frozen yogurt. Besides being lactose intolerant, Raynaud's people should avoid icy food at all times. Sometimes, like tonight, I throw caution to the frigid wind, and live on the edge. IF, I am still welcome to comment, my current fav is Publix Premium Frozen Yogurt....Moose Tracks.
I have to say that Graeter's (Oprah's fav) is our local ice cream shop in No. Kentucky. Ye-ah......it's THAT good!
judges say: fro-yo counts.
I'm a banana girl too! I grew up loving Banana Nut ice cream, but it's become increasingly difficult to find. They're always trying to stick some chocolate in. Cold Stone Creamery has been my saving grace of late - last time I got plain banana, hold the mix-ins!
Ice cream for dinner? Can't beat it! My first meal in Hawaii was a Dairy Queen banana split. Mmm-mmm!
If I ever totally let myself go, I'm eating ice cream and Lay's potato chips for dinner, like, every night until I turn out like Gilbert Grape's mom.
i think the laws of science state that ice cream + any salty side dish constitute a complete protein. or something.
;-)
Post a Comment