Monday, July 16, 2007

feelin' comfy part deux: the boob tube

have you added your two cents to the discussion of “comfort movies” yet? feel free to scroll down and share yours if you haven’t already.

in the meantime, as promised, we’ll move on to a discussion of “comfort television.” like comfort food and comfort movies, comfort television consists of programming that lulls you into a calm, relaxed, happy state. it could be totally crappy cartoons or heart-wrenching drama or a Top Chef marathon on the food network.

for me, comfort TV includes:

* Friends, the all-time go-to show (preferably episodes from seasons four through ten). no sitcom characters can make me laugh like monica when she’s freaking out or ross when he’s flustered.

* Felicity, with its gorgeous hues (seriously, has brown ever looked so pretty?) and sublime performances. i can watch any episode from any season and just melt into the couch.

* just about any house-flipping show. Flip This House, Flip That House, Property Ladder, Movin’ Up, you name it. i think it has something to do with the before-and-after “makeovers” of the homes. i have no idea.

* Project Runway, when it’s on...which, being in canada, is once a year and long after its run on Bravo! in the U.S. (so we already know who wins by the time the first episode airs here.)

* as mentioned in a previous post, Miami Ink. love it.

* jimmy kimmel’s opening 10-15 minutes. i watch his show every night just as i’m heading to bed, so it’s become something of a televised bedtime story. (i love the show itself, too.)

your turn. what do you watch when you want to unwind? which shows make you feel all giddy?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg.......val.......and i really don't think we talked about this, but.......i flippin' LUUUURRRRRVE those flip shows too. i love the rat crap, the inevitable termite damage, the rot........the drama! Armando, Ginger, Richard, and the ones who come and go, and act like they are losing their ass on this one and that one and end up makin' a bundle in the end!

saturday night, baby....a&e.....wall to wall flips!

i'll think of some more, but i just felt so bonded to you when you listed that one.......

vickie said...

thank god we have at least ONE thing in common. ;-)

Jennifer said...

My ultimate comfort show would have to be Little House on the Prairie. I can't remember a time in my life when it hasn't been there, and Mr. Edwards and Pa always make me feel all safe and cozy. Reading Rainbow is like a warm blankie, and Who's the Boss? never fails to warm my heart. At night, I like to check in with the late shows - particularly David Letterman - and go to sleep just knowing that they're there and all is right in the world.

vickie said...

i agree about LHOTP. something about the ingalls family is just inherently warm and comforting. (save, of course, for the odd traumatizing episode...like the one with the masked rapist or the one where mary went blind.)

Anonymous said...

M*A*S*H It's home in the 4077th.

Roseanne Every Conner makes me laugh.

Sex and the City on DVD, over and over and over.

vickie said...

jackie (conner) always, always made me laugh.

Jennifer said...

Ewww! I forgot about the masked rapist! I always think of that scene where the girl with the weird father is binding her breasts while someone watches through the window. I don't clearly remember what happens next, but I'm sure it will come out in therapy one day.

I never liked Mary, so I didn't mind that she went blind. Such a goody-goody.

vickie said...

the other LHOTP episode that COMPLETELY traumatized me, and one which i still remember in VIVID detail, was the one where pa and the girls went on some kind of trip and caroline was left home alone. she'd cut her shin on something and it got infected, nearly killing her.

it completely terrified me as a child, and still gives me the heebie jeebies now.

Anonymous said...

friends. i'm watching it right now, actually. but if it's from the first two seasons, i usually look for something else.

my absolute fave line is from TOW rachel's other sister and amy says she's a decorator after decorating their father's office and rachel responds "you decorate dad's office and now you're a decorator? ok, um i went to the zoo today and now i'm a koala bear."

will & grace. it used to be on all the time and now it's almost impossible to find. it's on ch. 333 on my box at midnight but thankfully global still airs them on saturday afternoons.

restaurant makeover. yup, it's on like, EVERY night and it just makes me happy. igor rocks.

so you think you can dance. thank goodness for the muchmusic repeats.

Y&R. sigh. i got hooked while on maternity leave and now i can't stop pvr-ing it. ok, ok... won't. ;)

vickie said...

ooooooh, YES to SYTYCD! totally forgot about that one...but it's not on enough, IMO.

Linda said...

That's funny that Vickie and Jennifer remember these horrible LHOTP episodes so vividly. The ones I remember are where Nellie is in a wheelchair, pretending to be crippled, then gets pushed down a hill by Laura. She lands in the mud, stands up in fury... MIRACLE! She's cured. Then the ep where Laura had a pet raccoon that got rabies, and Pa CRIED (god, who didn't want Michael Landon and his great hair for a dad?) when he told Laura they had to kill her new pet.

I second Felicity (LOVED that show) as well as Sex and the City on DVD.

One show that my brother and I would watch as a sort of guilty pleasure was Life Goes On. In college we watched Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton. Star Trek: The Next Generation got me through many tough times. Xena: Warrior Princess always makes me smile.

If you asked this question of Stephanie, there would be one resounding answer: BUFFY! Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, it can be said, under no uncertain terms, got her through grad school. She has four weeks left, and has actually started over again at Season One.

vickie said...

i would have included Buffy (i ♥ that show), but no one here airs it right now and hasn't for a while.

Linda said...

How do you spell... DVD?

You know I don't actually watch TV, Vickie... I only watch TV on DVD! :)

vickie said...

yeah, but i just can't bring myself to pay $40 (or more) for something i can (usually) watch for free.

or, you know, borrow from heather. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm still thinking. I'll post my list when I have time to better organize my thoughts.

I DO like "Xena, Warrior Princess" a LOT, as you have probably guessed. ;-)

BikerXena

Linda said...

Vickie, how do you say Netflix (or some such Canadian equivalent that HAS to exist by now), or... your local library? OK, I've heard that our library system here in the Seattle area genuinely ROCKS, so I may be a little spoiled here. But you'd be surprised how little I pay for when it comes to home entertainment. As far as I can tell, I even get my cable for free! (Don't tell the homeowners' association though...)

vickie said...

our library system isn't great for remotely current TV series. and the movies wind up with 1200 holds on them as soon as they're logged.

we don't have netflix. we have zip.ca...and i'll open the floor to matt to give you the pros and cons. ;-)