i don’t feel like writing...so why don’t you do some?
i’ve been woefully uninspired of late, despite having a couple of promising meetings with TV-industry types about writing a series (too soon to really tell what may come of it all) and, just today, accepting another (magazine) assignment that will involve me tracking down a dozen people for interviews...and hoping i don’t have to go through 40 candidates to find twelve who are willing. but i’ve been in a meh slump for a while, so i figured what better time than to turn the blog over to you.
back in the day, my friend chantel and i would pass many an hour shooting “get to know you” quizzes back and forth. i’m sure you’ve all received them in your email inboxes – they’re usually made up of a long list of random questions that you answer and then send back to the person from whom you received them. the point being to (say it with me!) get to know your friends through their answers.
and, today, that’s what i’m gonna do. below are the questions, and your answers can be posted in the comments section. c’mon, play!
1. what are five objects around you right now?
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
4. what’s your favourite meal?
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
‘kay, go.
16 comments:
1. what are five objects around you right now?
carpal tunnel wrist brace; stack of used CD-roms for recycling; my garage sale coffee mug that says "Coffee Time" and has cartoons of a steaming cuppa, a slice of pie, and TWO clocks, one showing 11am, and one showing 3pm (perfect!); a little foam dinosaur that was birthed from one of those tablet-things; and a Barbie-sized Wonder Woman doll, wearing a blue cape, but borrowed flared silver pants, and a stuffed Barbie electric guitar slung over her shoulder.
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
My mom used to call me Linda Lili. Among my nicknames now are Rin, Rinda, and Linda Lou
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
Two glorious kitties: Polly Jean aka PJ (a torbie - tabby/tortoise mix), and Maggie (a sweet good black kitty)
4. what’s your favourite meal?
Ummm... Sounds cliche, but nothing beats, say, a delicious homemade pizza with a pint of beer!
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
Pumpkin cheesecake. I thought I was going to die. It has to be a rare treat though, or else I'll turn into a pumpkin, because I could eat the whole pie myself.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
Mountains, the Sound, the blue-green fir trees, the overall greenness, which visitors always comment on. The summers are almost always awesome, but don't tell anyone. Coffee. The arts: music and movies esp. People are mostly very liberal and open.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
I cried when my family had to sell the lake house, which had been in the family for 100 years.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
I laugh out loud often. My co-worker and I trying to walk like robots, using only hips, no knees, and only up and down motions--no kicking your leg forward!--had me in hysterics, again, yesterday).
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
There is no such thing as a dream destination, as I want to go everywhere! I'm going to Australia next week (YAHOO!), but as far as places I've really really really wanted to go to: Iceland and Antarctica. :)
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
I saw Itty Bitty Titty Committee at the Festival of the Gays closing night. It was OK. Didn't hate it as much as Vickie, however. :)
okay, wait.
you haven't cried since the sale of the lake house?! wasn't that, like, a year ago??? you rival heather. ;-)
and didn't you (or one of the pals) have pumpkin cheesecake when we went out for dinner, pre-derby? or was that something else? (i know you've had it more than once, but i had a brief flashback just then.)
thank you for playing! :-)
1. what are five objects around you right now?
UHU, Scotch tape, stapler, paperclip, tape gun. I like to fasten.
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
Chantelly Lace, Channers, Chanrock, Chanhow.
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
Mr. Baz the black rescued cat.
4. what’s your favourite meal?
cheese, wine, baguette.
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
The Sahara? Oh...dessert: Nanaimo bars.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
It's convenient. And the homeless people.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
Reading a book this morning.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
When I read Linda's comment about the Itty Bitty Titty Committee. I love that name.
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
African Lion Safari. I mean, African Safari.
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
Transformers. It was more than meets the eye.
Ooh! A perfect afternoon break from work.
1. what are five objects around you right now?
I'm at the office, though I do have more than my share of personal stuff here so...
- a jar of Jelly Belly jelly beans for guests
- a swingline stapler that gets stolen far too often
- ladybug coffee mug filled with highlighters, pens, a nail file and toothbrush (unopened) ;-)
- Aveda hand relief lotion
- picture of my family
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
I didn't really have a nickname that stuck as a child--or now for that matter. Every once and a while I'd get motormouth from my dad (aren't you shocked?) and I get Heath or H every once and a while now.
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
No pets of my own...and really no interest in taking responsibility for one...but I love other peoples' pets.
4. what’s your favourite meal?
That's a tough one. I've always said my desert island foods would be french fries and cotton candy, but my favourite meal would likely be a nice rare steak with mushrooms and some sort of starch.
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
All of them. Favourite 'light' dessert is lemon tart, 'rich' would be creme brulee or some sort of dark chocolate mousse cake or truffle.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
I get to experience all four seasons, great theatre, shopping, sporting events and TIFF, close enough to my family to see them regularly. I guess that's a few favourite things.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
I know Vickie won't believe this, but last week. Reading 'Life on the Refrigerator Door'. Mother/daughter stuff gets me.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
Hmmm, I think I laugh often enough that I don't have a clear memory of specific instances. Probably at an email or tv show.
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
Many, many places. Australia (Linda, I'm jealous!), Hawaii, New York City with lots and lots of money, Thailand, Southern France, Greece, okay I'm going to stop now.
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
It was Reservation Road and I thought it was quite good.
OK, Vickie, when I think of crying, I think of crying about something in my own life. Crying at movies, or books, or commercials, to me, doesn't count... since I do it all the time! If you include that kind of crying, I actually cried a little this morning while watching this video of a woman and her dog at a dog show doing a dance to Grease's "You're the One that I Want". I think I cried from delight. :)
The pumpkin cheesecake was first experienced at Thanksgiving a couple years ago, then it made another surprise appearance at my birthday after that. The pumpkin cheesecake I'm thinking of specifically is the one that Shannon makes. Really, it is one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted. :D
ohhhhhh. okay. i was like, "what the hell?! she hasn't cried in a YEAR?!" gotcha. :-)
oh, and i realized i should answer my own questions:
1. what are five objects around you right now?
my TV remote, a mechanical pencil, a baby-names book, a chicken shake, a blank CD.
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
vic, vics and variations thereof as a child; val now.
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
none of my own (yet), but i like to think my parents' cat kyle is as much mine as theirs.
4. what’s your favourite meal?
spaghetti and root beer*. OMG. cheap, basic and good. (*except at the now-defunct fazoli's, where spaghetti was always always always accompanied by mr. pibb. mmmm.)
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
CAKE! preferably devil's food with goopy vanilla icing.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
aside from the lack of criminals and terrifying neighbours, which is a delight, the location -- gorgeous neighbourhood, walking distance to downtown, surprisingly quiet.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
yesterday, when i foolishly clicked on a link in a discussion thread called "saddest songs ever" and found this. before that, at tuesday night's episode of L.A. Ink. seriously.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
about four minutes ago, while watching jimmy kimmel co-hosting Live With Regis and Kelly. he was being wonderfully inappropriate with a very prim british party planner.
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
i don't actually have one, i don't think. but definitely not somewhere hot and humid.
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
Reservation Road, which i liked but which also featured the world's hammiest performance by elle fanning.
Ummm... a baby names book? Vickie, is there something you'd like to share with us? :)
yes, it's true. i can't hide it anymore, and you'd all find out soon enough, anyway.
i've been naming characters.
1. what are five objects around you right now?
My Shrek lunchbox, a stupid coffee mug, my purse, the phone, and a little troll doll.
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)?
Hmm, childhood nicknames. My grandma's adorable boyfriend always called me Butch. My uncle called me Cupcake. My dad called me Chicken Lips. Now I answer to Jess, Romy or Michelle, and Tall Jennifer.
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
No, but I had a devil cat named Omi (pronounced Ommy) when I was about 4. Every once in awhile he'd run me down like a cheetah, hang onto my legs with his claws, and just bite and scratch until I shook him off. Yeah...he went to live on a farm after a few of those episodes.
4. what’s your favourite meal?
Ooh, I can never answer this question, but if you give me anything with tomatoe sauce, carbs, and mozzarella, I'm happy. It could be pizza, lasagna, or spaghetti.
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
Pie. I've never met one that I didn't like.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live?
It's really close to everything, but nicely out of the fray. Geographically my favorite thing in this area is Lake Washington.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances?
Honestly? Watching Cujo on Sunday night. It's a very stressful movie.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances?
Last night I coined the phrase "fishy stick", which struck everyone as insanely funny, which in turn struck me as funny. You know, fishy stick - the stick they use to fish out the poo when someone has an accident in the swimming pool.
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why?
I have two dream vacations planned in my head - one to England, and one to Southern California. The former because I'm a crazy Anglophile and I want to do all these literary tours, and the latter because I've been obsessed with Hollywood since I was 13. It's about time I got down there.
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it?
This is kind of embarrassing because it's been so long. I think it was the end of July, and I went to You Kill Me with the director's cousin and son. Not only did I love the movie, but it was great getting the family commentary as we watched.
Oops, that sounds weird. I was with the director's cousin's son, not the director's son. Just had to clarify.
And Val? I use a baby name book for characters too!
great minds continue to think alike. ;-)
and "fishy stick" made ME laugh out loud (especially once i got to the definition)!
i did a big oops and put my list in the previous thread...you can find it under "mother nature off her meds..." :-/
LOL!
1. what are five objects around you right now? pictures of sam and ryan, empty bottle of windex, my boots, ghetto blaster (yup, that's how old it is) and an almost-empty mug of hot chocolate. sigh. i love that the words "hot chocolate" and "boots" are in that sentence. that means it's cold out. heh.
2. what was your childhood nickname? what’s your current nickname (if you have one)? my folks call me denden. some pals call me d.
3. do you have any pets? if so, what kind and what are their names?
one. a rock star of a rabbit named buster who'll be 10 at the end of january. he's a pretty cool guy.
4. what’s your favourite meal? um, i like to eat, so this one's a toughy. i'll have to go with prime rib, a side of garlic mashed, and some corn. and if you throw a lobster tail on the plate, that would be the greatest surf 'n turf meal around.
5. what’s your favourite dessert?
i don't get this often but montana's makes this crazy shared dessert called mile-high mud pie.
it's chocolate, meringue and mocha ice cream on a layer of peanut butter with oreo cookie crust. then that's topped with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and crushed oreos. seriously. to die for.
6. what’s your favourite thing about where you live? it's close to everything.
7. when was the last time you cried, and what were the circumstances? last night watching extreme makeover: home edition.
8. when was the last time you laughed out loud, and what were the circumstances? SNL re-aired the one where seth rogen hosted, and the sketch with him and kristen wiig (seriously... my fave on the show) as these gross, nerdy kids: "I said 'WE'!" ha! i'm laughing now.
9. where is your dream vacation destination, and why? a tour of italy. and not that dish from olive garden. the idea of visiting rome, siena, florence, venice, etc. sounds so beautiful to me.
10. what was the last movie you saw at a theatre, and what did you think of it? transformers. i love shia.
OMG to #5. why have i never heard of that before?!?!?!
::::drool::::
Post a Comment