Monday, February 11, 2008

<<-- insert clever song title referencing "love" here -->>

this is a macro-tastic photo of a tulip, taken by lou.
i love it because it looks like a golden heart being ensnared by alien tentacles.


say, did you hear that it’s valentine’s day on thursday?

of course you did, because the reminders are EVERYWHERE.

but i’d like a different kind of reminder, please.

as someone who will be alone this february 14th, i’m looking for some heartwarming, romantic anecdotes, events and tales of love from other people to warm my spirit and the spirits of those who pop by the blog between now and valentine’s day. stories that reaffirm the idea of love, or demonstrate its resilience/beauty/power/humour/whatever.

so, got any? some talking points to get the ideas flowing...

what’s the most romantic thing someone’s ever done for you? or said to you?

the most romantic thing you’ve done for someone else?

the moment you knew your spouse or partner was The One?

what’s your favourite love song?

how about your favourite romantic movie?

is there a particularly romantic story among your family members (e.g., how your grandparents met, your dad's first date with your mom) or friends that always makes you smile?

gimme something. anything. and thank you in advance. while you write, i’ll be over here on the couch, eating a marshmallow heart and waiting...

20 comments:

vickie said...

okay, i'm not sure what's sadder, the fact that i'm soliciting your love stories or the fact that no one is posting any.

come on...i know someone must have SOMETHING...

Eric said...

Okay, I'll start!

I met Dan at an Oscar party, where I was too afraid to approach him because he had arrived with another guy and they were chatty chatty all night. I didn't pay much attention to the show because I was covertly checking Dan out and sending eye-daggers at his date.

Later, I found out that Dan's "date" was actually his brother (they look nothing alike). So I tricked Dan into going out with me and he's been chained up in my basement ever since!

vickie said...

yay!

at last!

a story!

thanks for sharing!

and how perfect that your relationship began at an oscar party.

Daniel said...

Here is why I love my boyfriend:

*He loves putting Ikea furniture together and hates cleaning the kitchen, and I hate putting Ikea furniture together and I love cleaning the kitchen.
*He loves the cats like I love the cats.
*He hates The Biel like I hate The Biel.
*After two years, I still have no idea what he's going to say next.
*His family treats me like I'm their family.
*He didn't make fun of me when "About a Boy" made me cry.
*"Hot Peanuts! Hot Peanuts! Hot Peanuts!"
*Our romantic Valentine's Day dinner last year? Denny's.
*His commitment to energy soup is a bond stronger than love.
*And you can suck on it if you think this is a cliche, but it's the truth: he makes me laugh every single day.

Aaaaaaaand...credits.

vickie said...

awwwww. you guys rock.

Anonymous said...

They DO! Aw.

Okay, I'm being pressured (HI VAL) to provide a tearjerking anecdote.

Last Valentine's Day, I was staying in a little crappy apartment in Atlanta, while Tom was confined to a hospital room at Shepherd Center (following a spinal cord injury in Oct. '06) We'd been living apart since that date and missed our life together. I found this e-card. It said what I felt and I sent it to him. When I visited him the next day, he smiled and said that it was the best Valentine's gift ever. Later he told me he replayed it everyday we were apart. I had no idea it would mean that much but I found it and it will send to him this year too, with a note that says "I still mean it!"

http://www1.yahoo.americangreetings.com/ecards/display.pd?prodnum=3117213&path=40777

vickie said...

LOL, moob. thanks for caving. you and tom also rock! (and roll. ;-))

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thanks (((Val))).

"MurderballTom" says HI!

vickie said...

and thank you for posting such a sweet story. when i think of everything you two have gone through...wow.

{{{{{{moob}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

I read you invitation hours ago, felt I had nothing to say, then thought about tales of love in my life. And thought some more. I was torn. I have tales of lust. Tales of the forbidden. Tales of desire and sacrifice and the parting of the sea. But romance? Not so much. So is it okay if I just enjoy others' tales and wish everyone a sharp arrow through the heart?

vickie said...

sure.

but i'd bet there are more than a few readers who'd like to hear that "parting of the sea" tale. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know how those parting of the sea tales go. Most of Your People make it to the other side, but there's always a few stragglers who drown. And they are the ones you miss. Water to the left. Water to the right. :D

heather said...

aww...y'all have nice stories.

I got nothing. Clearly, I need more romance in my life ;-)

I've always liked the story about how my parents met at Oktoberfest (she snuck in underage...it was his birthday), because my mom was the total opposite of a beer festival goer at that time. And the fact that he took her to see The Exorcist on one of their first dates and I'm not sure she's forgiven him for it yet ;-)

vickie said...

hmmm...this is turning into an interesting sociological experiment. i know people are visiting the blog and reading, but very few are commenting. why?

is it because they don't really have any stories to share? (though, i did say you could post something as simple as your favourite love song or romantic movie!)

is it because they're shy and have posting-performance anxiety?

is it because it's too personal and they'd rather not share that part of their lives with (sort of) strangers?

is it because they'd rather talk about TV than love?

or something else altogether?

it's always fascinating to me to see which of my entries elicit commentary and which ones don't! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

You're the Val in my entine!

;¬)

vickie said...

aww, thanks {{{{{{{moob}}}}}}! same to you. :-)

Anonymous said...

happy hearts day, vic! i wasn't sure what to write cuz i have a fairly boring, unromantic life. but here goes...

why ryan rocks:

* he knows when to argue with me and he knows when to concede the point.
* knowing my love for lists, when we couldn’t decide what to name sam, i suggested we jot down our favourite 10, cross off what wasn’t the same, keep what we had in common and go from there. after about 10 minutes, we knew it would be samantha.
* he plays the states game whenever i ask.
* if an eminem or green day song comes on in the car, we both turn into rock stars.
* whenever sam wakes up in the middle of the night, he deals with her and lets me sleep. EVERY night.
* he still makes me laugh. tears-streaming-down-my-face, side-splitting, no-sound laughing.
* he’s the best dad in the world… there’s nothing sexier.

best day in the world:
* jan. 28, 2006 when sam was born. ryan was an awesome man that day.

favourite love song:
“feels like home” by chantal kreviazuk

favourite movie:
love actually, of course.

how ‘bout you, vic? favourite love song? romantic movie? your parents’ first date? your turn.

vickie said...

and, of course, ryan rocks because he can be my reality-show boyfriend and you're okay with that. ;-)

let's not talk about my parents, who should have divorced years ago.

fave romantic movie is Serendipity because i cling to the dreams it represents.

fave romantic song is, at the moment, Surround Me by ben taylor, which can be heard here.

vickie said...

oh, and happy valentine's day to all. :-)

Jennifer said...

Okay, it has taken me WEEKS to come up with the most romantic thing that ever happened to me. Know why? Cause it happened when I was five. In Kindergarten I had the most adorable boyfriend named Steven. He had brown hair and blue eyes, and after we'd been sweethearts for awhile, he asked me to marry him. He'd bring me little gifts, and he had big plans for our future. One afternoon he called me up and as we were chatting, we decided that we would live on a farm and raise cattle. Then -get this- he promised to cut their heads off so I wouldn't have to watch, and then we could have steak all the time. That right there is the most considerate and romantic thing a boy has ever offered to do for me. Sadly, he moved at the end of first grade and we drifted apart. His birthday was on Valentine's Day. I kid you not.