here we go again...

i love marshall herskovitz and ed zwick. these two men are responsible for some of my all-time favourite television programs -- thirtysomething, my so-called life (brilliant brilliant brilliant!), Relativity and Once and Again (heartbreakingly good!) -- and are, therefore, also responsible for a great deal of TV-induced heartache for me. why? because they kept producing wonderful shows only to have ABC (the network with whom they were allied) repeatedly CANCEL THEM long before their time. with the exception of cultural phenomenon thirtysomething, all of those listed series were axed waaaay too soon...MSCL and Relativity barely lasted a season each.
perhaps you remember my little rant about this very subject almost a year ago, written in reaction to the alphabet net’s latest good-TV casualty. at the time, i wrote about how i couldn’t understand why ABC kept kicking the bedford falls team (and those of their ilk) to the curb, and i really couldn’t understand why herskovitz and zwick kept going back for more. it was like watching an abusive relationship...only with better writing.
imagine my cauldron of mixed emotions when word spread that the duo were creating another another series. “OMG! AMAZING! (pause) oh no,” i thought. “it’s going to be this wicked show, and i’m going to totally fall in love with it, and then ABC is going to yank it off the air just like they always do! bastards! (sob)”
well, guess what? this time, herskovitz and zwick’s newest baby will debut on NBC. (actually, it already debuted online last fall, but its *television* debut is tonight at 10pm on the peacock network.) now, NBC hasn’t exactly wowed me with its commitment to quality TV – much to my deep and profound chagrin, they were the ones who killed American Dreams, the best new drama in years – so it’s with some degree of cautious optimism that i await tonight’s premiere of quarterlife. it's an hourlong dramedy about a twentysomething blogger and her five twentysomething friends.
experience tells me it’s going to rock. everything H&Z churn out rocks, and i’m beyond excited to see their latest. but i swear to the ghost of rayanne graff that NBC had better get behind this series in a big way. if they can air crap like Bionic Woman or fifteen incarnations of Law & Order, they can spend a few bucks making sure that viewers tune in. that’s all it’ll take...because once they do, they’ll stay.
or, at least, i hope they do.
[edited to add: OMG! herskovitz and zwick WERE rejected by ABC again! seems they originally pitched the show to ABC, who said no! see? see?! ABC is mean.]
9 comments:
Don't you love that title--Quarterlife. And she's a blogger; that IS drama. LOL I hope this one sticks around just for you.
just finished watching the series premiere...and, after a rather weak first half that had me wondering if this was going to be a complete misfire of a show, it busted out a final 10 minutes that shone with the brilliance for which herskovitz and zwick are known.
the last 10 minutes or so more than made up for the shaky start and guaranteed that i will be back next week. (they could, however, trim the blonde nerdy guy and the blonde actress girl from the cast and the show would be even tighter. a four-character drama would be just fine.)
oh, and lou, the lead character? the blogger? also a writer. :-)
blogger? writer? wait.....is she a cake freak??
I THINK I'VE SEEN THIS SHOW! ;¬)
they call her a blogger, but she's kind of a blogger/vlogger, since a good chunk of her online activity is video-blogging.
This show only confirms that I don't have to watch TV... I just watch YOU, Vickie! :)
I think I've told you this before, but I believe we were the only two people in the audience for Relativity... LOVED that show.
then you should watch quarterlife!
I have it on my PVR from last night...but after the dismal ratings am afraid to watch and enjoy it cause I'm pretty sure it's not long for this world.
I'm sorry....I jinxed it by actually watching the show.
it's been cancelled. i'm sorry.
Post a Comment