Saturday, April 5, 2008

it's sprung!

lou's stunning shot of an iris. (thanks, lou!)


today feels like the first real day of spring.

it's absolutely gorgeous outside -- cloudless blue sky, bright sunshine, a super-gentle breeze, temperatures expected to inch into the 50s. most of the snow has melted, and the grey, mucky clumps that remain should diminish in size considerably by the time the sun goes down later today. after weeks of on-again/off-again snow and rain and cold temperatures and warmer temperatures, today it feels like spring for real.

and with spring comes clear, ice-free sidewalks, amazing walking weather, the start of film-festival season (cinéfranco now, sprockets next week, hotdocs the week after, inside/out in may, and so on), maybe a trip back to the condo in florida, season finales...all good things.

so, on this lovely spring day, i'll turn the floor over to you to ask: what's your favourite thing about spring? and, to keep it balanced, your least favourite thing?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks for using the inner iris.

What I like about spring is what I do not like about spring. But I need to think on this further before I comment.

vickie said...

intrigued, i shall wait. :-D

Anonymous said...

I like the inward direction and mystery of fall and winter, a time that feels ripe with desire and possibilities. I come closest to explaining this with the word "desire." Writers, artists, musicians desire the state of desire because it's the best place in which to create. Spring is fruition--okay, I get that. But the blossoming means the end of desire. So there. :D

vickie said...

SO interesting that you put it that way, because i often feel my most creative in fall and winter. weird!

cod said...

well i just posted (over there) that fall is my favorite and I said it was the coziness and colors, so i think i'm saying the same thing, val, about feeling creative then.

Anonymous said...

Maybe spring just steals all the creativeness for itself. :D

vickie said...

well, something's gotta put all those fun blossoms everywhere...spring needs all the creativity it can get.

cod said...

thinking about it.........spring is scaring me!

Anonymous said...

LOL! If I see one more crocus . . .

vickie said...

you know, i thought about it a little more and, while i feel more creative in the fall and winter, i'm actually more *productive* in spring. go figure.

cod said...

Oh I'm NEVER productive, just damned creative. ;¬)

Linda said...

I love being able to finally throw open the windows and doors for fresh air, without having an arctic breeze. I also like the morning sun coming through the windows... makes it easier to go to work than being in the dark. It still rains a lot around here in spring though. But on those nice days, it is always a joy to see people stumbling around in the outdoors wearing inappropriate summery clothes. :)

cod said...

there is a smell to that fresh air coming through open windows that even Yankee Candle cant capture, huh?

vickie said...

======:-X

cod said...

that was for you!

vickie said...

the yankee candle company is an evil, evil place filled with nasty, toxic smells that choke innocent passersby for blocks. i can smell them for miiiiiiiles. *choke*