talk of TV on a tuesday
* why have julia ormond and natascha mcelhone started using american accents out of character? i watched the former in an interview with bonnie hunt, and the latter is currently in a neutrogena ad... and both have scrapped their lovely british accents for (kind of shaky and unconvincing) plain american ones. whom do they think they’re fooling? and who told them this was a good idea?
* the smartest comedy on the air right now? in my opinion, Scrubs. brilliant and inventive, week in and week out. 30 Rock comes in second.
* Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives might be my favourite food network show ever.
* i have completely stopped watching Heroes, a show i once loved. why? oh, that’s right, because it now bores me silly. honestly, i don’t think a series has ever flamed out that quickly for me before. in related news, i am barely hanging on as ER wheezes to its final episode. i thought i could stay engaged in that drama right to the bitter end but, damn, the producers and writers are really, really trying hard to make me not care anymore.
* these days, i’ve found myself flicking on The Biggest Loser when i need ambient entertainment. i watched an episode while putting together IKEA furniture at young beatrix’s house one saturday and thought, “huh. not bad.” so now i tune in on occasion. (somewhere, denette’s head just exploded.)
* are you watching Celebrity Rehab Presents: Sober House? i swear to you, without a word of lie, it’s a really compelling, often shocking and surprisingly moving show. sure, these might be D-list “celebrities,” but their addictions are real and watching them battle their demons (sometimes winning, sometimes losing) is fascinating. it’s one of the few series i watch where i actually sit down on the couch for the full hour.
* speaking of, the other shows i watch undisturbed and without distraction are Damages and LOST. love love love love them both.
* every day, without fail, i watch the trifecta of regis, ellen and the ladies of The View. even if i’m not watching directly, i’ll have them on in the background while i clean, or write, or what have you. occasionally, i’ll swap out ellen for kathie lee and hoda on Today. i always eat breakfast during ellen. this whole schtick has now become my routine.
* i am strangely disinterested in the upcoming oscars.
* i hope that Dollhouse doesn’t suck.
8 comments:
I agree with you on 30 Rock. Thursday night's lineup is FUN!
Good thing you don't live in Florida. Ellen is on at 4pm. That's way too late for breakfast.
she's on here at least three times a day: 10am, 4pm and midnight.
I'm afraid I haven't seen most of the shows you name, but I am glad to hear that a reviewer like you still finds worthy programming on network television.
lou, i highly recommend renting season one of Damages. it's only 13 episodes, and was one of the best new drama series i'd seen in a long time. very smart, very well-written, superbly acted... and glenn close is TERRIFYING. :-D
Sorry, Vickie. Dollhouse sucks.
drat. that's what i feared.
I wanted so much to like it, but it was not meant to be.
Eliza Dushku has got the vacuous stare down pat (you'll see what I mean), but overall it's a mess.
Dollhouse has been sitting on my desk for close to a month and after everything I've heard, I'm not going to bother. Plus, Friday Night Lights airs at the same time, so I'll take that any day.
Love, love, LOVE Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Though I never say it right. Poor Ryan wants to kill me whenever I refer to it as Drivers, Divers and Dines. Guy Fiori rocks. And it always makes me want breakfast goodies.
Still loving Scrubs, as well. Love Lost, back on Heroes and still as addicted as ever to Biggest Loser. Yay, you're on the Loser train!
Hmmm... that didn't sound so great.
Post a Comment