well, that was interesting...
poll's closed.
results are in.
they are as follows:
disappointment.
disillusionment.
frustration.
anxiety.
resentment.
uncertainty.
caution.
i'm not sure what to make of the lack of participation, and i'm rolling a number of thoughts around in my brain at the moment, but none of the above results is particularly positive or encouraging.
i did make a 30-entries-in-30-days plan, and i'll be sticking to it.
after that, i'll figure out what comes next...
9 comments:
I don't think you should feel disappointed or anxious. There are lots of reasons why people read but never comment or respond to a poll. Some people tell me--in rl--that they believe that they open themselves to spam, viruses, identity theft, all sorts of mischief if they leave their footprints on a blog. I really dont think you should take all this personally.
people come here daily, sometimes multiple times in a single day, to read and then they leave without commenting. fine. maybe they don't have anything to say about what i've written. i don't always leave comments each time i read a blog entry, either.
but when i specifically ASK for feedback, and express that i'm asking for that feedback because i'm feeling uncertain and wary and kind of nervous, i feel like maybe more of those seemingly interested (and regular) readers should step up to the plate. if for no other reason than to offer a little reassurance.
and if they're not invested enough to do something as simple as click on a little dot or drop a few words in a comment box when i do, then it makes me question why.
Just looking at what you've said about this issue on the blog, I'm not sure you've really expressed enough for people to know how to respond. Uncertain, sure, but wary and nervous hadn't really come across for me.
I've followed a few personal blogs of people I've never met, and it is a weird feeling. You keep reading because they're well-written and interesting in some way. But you do feel like a bit of an outsider, especially when there's some post that reminds you that perhaps you wouldn't fit into this person's social circle in real life. (For example, on one blog the guy would often ask for advice on his next major tattoo -- not my area of expertise.) You certainly don't feel a sense of entitlement, so if the author talks about something like limiting access, you feel like it isn't your place to argue with them. As much as you enjoy reading it, it's their blog and you feel you should abide by their wishes.
thanks for that, matt. it's interesting -- i hadn't considered that possible scenario, and maybe that *is* what's happening.
maybe not.
but maybe.
Hey Vickie,
Sorry I didn't vote in time. I try to get here every day, but sometimes can't until the weekend.
I like not having to log in, but having to do that wouldn't be a pain either.
I have to log onto media sites all day...
no worries. and thanks for the feedback!
Hey Vic,
Sorry, like Greg, I don't get a ton of time to check out your blog at work and usually the last thing I like to do when I get home is turn on the computer (though I do it anyway... sigh).
Needless to say, I like not having to log in (mostly because I'm a lazy ass), but I'm also fine taking an extra step to read your stuff.
:)
Well, I like not having to log in, because that's one more password I'd have to remember, but I would register if you made it mandatory.
Oh, and I *did* vote too. I'm one of the magic nine.
thanks, ken. and thanks for the feedback!
Post a Comment