beauty: blink and you might miss it
today i saw the most beautiful dragonfly i’ve ever seen.
i was standing in line at a screening, and noticed something flying around a nearby hedge.
it landed like a dainty creature out of an enchanted forest.
it was a stunning shade of red, with translucent, silvery wings
that looked like they were made of paper-thin glass.
small, delicate, magical.
it landed on the very tip of a tiny bud, and then just sat there. motionless. gorgeous.
people walked past, the wind blew, but it just stayed in place.
as far as i can tell, no one else noticed it.
so i just watched it.
after a short while, i turned around for a moment to look down the line and,
when i returned my attention to the bud, the dragonfly was gone.
and i stood there with this strange, lovely sense of having just witnessed
something poetic.
[note: and then, later this evening, i saw this and smiled.]

4 comments:
....and you phoned Lou, and she flew there immediately and snapped this pic???? Wow!
Those moments are the very best (((((Vic))))). That you realized the importance of it, at your young age, is amazing. ;¬)
I dreamed (and this just reminded me of it) that I spotted a hummingbird very near me and actually reached out and touched the tip of it's tail and felt a thrill.
I believe that only in our recognition of our unity with nature can we peeps hope to redeem ourselves. The thing that gets me in your narrative is that "no one else noticed." And Cod's right--I'd have been there in a Toronto second to snap a macro. LOL
"Our unity with nature".....I love that.
I also really loved this post enough to reread it.
thanks, both of you. :-)
lou, i'm not surprised no one else noticed. for starters, at the film festival, many people are preoccupied -- the folks in front of me were chatting about acquisitions, and the girls behind me were talking about which celebs they've seen. so, keeping an eye out for something as comparatively minor as a pretty insect sort of drops down the priority list.
Post a Comment