the box of questions
my friend j-dub is moving and is in the process of packing her home into bags and boxes. one of the items she came across, buried in a big closet, was something called “table topics.” it’s a glass box filled with a hundred or so 3”x3” cards, each with a question on it. the idea being: have the box at a table full of people as a conversation-starter. pull a question, read it to the group, and listen as everybody answers.
j-dub was going to toss it, but i asked if i could have it because i thought it would be a fantastic resource for blog topics on days when i can’t think of what to write.
days like today.
so, tonight, i pulled a card and its question is this:
“where would you go if you were going to run away from home?”
hmm. part of me thinks it would depend on why i was running away. if i were in distress for some reason, i’d probably want to be someplace where i felt safe and secure, so perhaps my parents’ or YB’s house.
if i were running away as a means of escape from my life, i suspect i’d probably go someplace somewhat familiar... but different. a city that i know and like, but one that’s different enough to feel like a change. like chicago or seattle.
if i were running away because i wanted to start over... i really don’t know. i wish i could honestly name some far-flung location on the other side of the globe, but it rings false within.
i think my inherent love of home (a trait of us cancers) would cause me to second-guess any running-away plans in the first place.
what about you?
7 comments:
I'd go someplace where I thought I could actually live. Which means that even though I love NYC, Paris, and Cambridge in England, I would not want to live in those places. Oddly, I think I would go to this small town in Alaska, a seaport on Prince William Sound, accessible only by boat or air. I have often thought that I could be happy there for the years I have left, the proximity to the sea and sky and beautiful land.
That's a good question.
and that's a great answer!
actually, all the questions are great discussion-starters. we used a bunch as we packed boxes and were surprised at how thought-provoking some were.
Well, they've been doing balcony repairs (with the implied drilling noise) at my place the past couple of months, so believe me the thought has occurred to me! On the Pro Tempore side I'd say the movies or the bookstore. More permanently, I liked living in Woodstock, NY. ...Although I'd be a bad runaway, cause I'd have to take everyone in my home with me - the lady, the dog and the cat. So I guess that doesn't count!
but maybe it does count!
there's no fine print on the cards, and there's nothing that indicates you'd have to run away alone.
judges' ruling: no violation!
well i'm a cancer too, so..........
i think living here at the cabin is a "runaway" place for me now. to be more specific......my alone spot is my bed. i have a tv, remote, and a current stack of books i'm reading. i can leave the big sliding door open and see only the lake and green hills beyond, and hear only the crickets and frogs chattering.
yep, that's about as truthful as i can get about running away.
....or possibly i'd run off to "dinharqu". ;¬)
i can't imagine you ever wanting to run away from that cabin, moob. (well, except maybe fleeing the wasps in the shower.)
in fact, i suspect people would choose your cabin as their running-away destination!
maybe you could run away HERE! :¬D
Post a Comment