for the sake of expediency...
i decided to pull from the box of questions again today, because i felt stumped for subject matter and worried i’d waste the rest of the night trying to come up with something to say.
so, today’s card asks:
“would you rather live for a week in the past or the future?”
i realize the gist of the query involves traveling backwards or forwards many, many years... decades, centuries, what have you. and, in that context, i suppose it might be interesting to revisit the 1920s. i don’t why, but i just find myself drawn to that era. or maybe the post-war 1940s. maybe the week of the end of WWII.
but, given the amount of time i sometimes spend mentally reliving my mistakes, or wishing i could change things i’ve said or done, i suspect i’d be much more inclined to spend a week in the more recent past if given the chance. a week in my own past.
assuming, that is, i might be able to affect my present by tweaking what went before. hindsight is, as they say, 20/20... so why not capitalize on knowing now what i didn’t know then?
because, while it might be fun to skip ahead a few chapters in the story of my life for a peek at what the universe has in store, i feel like turning back the pages might be a more healing exercise that could help me keep moving towards the future that has yet to be written.
what about you?
5 comments:
I would like to relive a week--any week--during the time that I was married to Fred. I don't want to change anything; in fact, I would quietly disguise that I was revisiting. I just want to remember who he was.
I was going to write something about 1950's NYC or some such thing, but Lou's comment was so touching I would like to give my week in the past to Lou. So she would have two weeks with Fred.
now i'm all teary.
i have great friends.
My cousin and I were talking about our childhood memories and the yearly trip to the big city (Cincinnati) on buses where the diesel fumes made me sick. I went back to the excitement of that time. It was the same every summer, and it was that sameness that appealed to me most. We'd board a bus in the morning, take that LONG ride (an hour maybe) to the city, where we'd get out and gaze at the tall buildings like first timers in NYC! We were no less impressed. We'd shop the rest of the morning, have lunch at The Cricket (old wooden booths and small dishes of sugar cubes on each table)! I'd always order a BLT and a Coke. Then the afternoon's mission was shopping for a doll. I always got to choose the doll that I wanted and she came out of her box and rode in my lap all the way home. It was the best day ever. I know that's just one day, but I'd like to relive that.
Aw, Jane, thank you. :)
Post a Comment