Wednesday, June 13, 2012

a very sad 24 hours


last night, just over 24 hours ago, we said goodbye to mr. poo. i'll write more about it later, but i wanted to let you know that the mass in his abdomen turned out to be a cancerous tumour, and the type of cancer was very aggressive and very invasive. it does not respond to chemotherapy, and surgery was not advised (the vet said it's rarely successful and would be pointless).

so, we all gathered at the pet hospital, held mr. poo and hugged him and kissed him and then... he was gone. it was extremely difficult but, at the same time, not difficult. we knew we were doing the loving thing by letting him go and ending his suffering. the vet said he figures kyle was likely in a fair amount of pain, and the mr. poo we saw last night was more like an empty shell of a cat -- his spirit had long since moved on.

3 comments:

Lou said...

I've said goodbye to more than one pet in exactly the way you describe. It is wrenching, I know, and such a loving kindness.

cod said...

So have I, and the sadness is overwhelming, I know. I am so glad though, that you realize you did everything with the greatest love. (((Vic)))

Gail said...

(((Vickie)))