awww, F-WORD!
as in: f**k.
as in: fan.
as in: my f**king fan is a fiasco.
over the past few days, i've noticed a tiny "krink" sound whenever my six-week-old standing fan would oscillate. sort of like the sound you would hear in a trick knee while climbing stairs or a wonky back when bending over to pick up a dropped spoon. the sound, while faint, was enough to make me wonder if my amazing fan was, in fact, not so amazing after all. i mean, i only ever ran it for two or three hours at a time before turning it off when the motor casing became the least bit warm to the touch, so it's not like i was pushing it to its functioning limits.
then, just now and after all of 15 minutes in operation, i heard a loud SNAP/CRACK from somewhere within the fan. three seconds later, the speed of the blades slowed dramatically and adjusting the speed settings did nothing. the jet-engine-like force of the wind was now a mere light breeze. i turned it off, turned it back on (apparently i thought rebooting would work for a fan, but no) and the status remained the same...with the addition of a curious smell that told me instantly to turn it back off.
so, here's the rub: the 30-day in-store warranty ("we'll fix it or replace it!") expired only two weeks ago. the manufacturer's warranty says that, if i want the unit fixed or replaced, i have to ship the whole thing TO CALIFORNIA at my own expense...plus pay for them to ship it back to me. WHAT THE HELL?! the fan was a birthday gift from my parents, so i'm hoping they still have the receipt and that the store will somehow replace this defective unit...but i'm skeptical.
all of this is happening just as we're beginning yet another heat wave in the city. so now, i'm facing 90F...FANLESS.
F**K.
update: okay, so i called my mother and she and i trucked the dead fan back to sears where, much to my amazement and delight, they took it back without incident and gave her a full refund. evidently, they offer a one-year (?!) warranty on the products they sell. who knew? i'd envisioned another horrible customer-service nightmare, but no. unfortunately, given the hot weather we've experienced since june 12th (when the original, now-dead fan was purchased), my pretty, stylish, mint-green, kitchen-aid-like fan is now virtually extinct in the city of toronto. we managed to find one at another sears, but it was the last one in stock and the floor model. they gave it to us for 15% off, and said the warranty was still valid for a year on it, so i'm cautiously optimistic that this one will last longer than six weeks. fingers crossed!
14 comments:
As one who is also living in summertime heat, you have my heartfelt congratulations on the replacement fan. This is no time to be fanless, certainly. Personally, I put my faith and bucks in the large floor box fans--three speeds, tilt frame, massive whoosh. Right now, as I type, there are six of then roaring inside the house. Breeeeezy.
thanks {{{{{{{{*lou*}}}}}}}}}}!
i actually think the new fan may be better than the dud i had. they're exactly the same -- model, colour, etc. -- but this one actually *stops* oscillating when you tell it to, and seems to have sturdier knobs to keep it from collapsing (i.e., getting shorter).
it was such a pretty fan that i just couldn't bear to replace it with some generic white one.
(((((vickie)))))
Best of luck with the replacement fan. At least if it was a floor model, it's had some run-time so hopefully if there was anything wrong with it, it would already have shown up. (I sometimes think floor models are underrated, and the 15% off makes it an even better deal.)
I had a blow dryer that started spitting fire one time, fortunately not right at my hair. And yes, I had kept the hair trap clean. That went right into the trash as soon as it had cooled off!
Oh, and I do know of this back-up air cooler thing you could get... ;-)
BikerXena
I say "Yay! Sears!"
It seems like a rare inspirational moment of customer service. I, for one, am happy to hear it, as I just bought a new stacked washer/dryer from Sears. They were extremely helpful providing all the information I asked for (including dates of future sales of the items I was interested in!). They also said the appliance peeps worked on 100% commisssion!!! Yowch. So I was sure to go back to the woman who helped me for half an hour of her time.
We got the beast delivered and installed last week, and spent Friday night testing out the exciting new (for us) front-load washer. We sat cross-legged on the floor with the kitties watching through the little window as it filled with water then swooshed the clothes in one direction, then changed and swooshed the other direction.
Anyways, that's what we do in Seattle instead of admiring fans, because once again it is barely going to break 70F today. If you want, you could toss us some of your summer!
PLEASE take ALL of my summer.
here, here's an extra 20F that I don't want or need...it'll still be a delightful 68F with those degrees gone.
i'm sure denette would also be willing to chip in some of her summer...though you'll be hard pressed to get heather to relinquish hers. ;-)
And here's 10 degrees from California!
My mom and dad had a stacked Kenmore washer and dryer, and that thing ran and ran and ran, and still runs. Best thing they ever did in their condo.
Hi ((((((((*vickie*))))))))!
Can I start worrying now??
i dunno, lou. i wasn't worried until you started worrying...so i sent moob an "are you there yet????" email last night.
no word.
but then, sometimes it *is* a while between updates...right?
Just seems like she'd let us know she arrived safely. :|
yeah. i know. :-/
OK, so I'm temporarily taking back my unwavering praise of Sears:
I got a call at work today with the news that my washer/dryer area was LEAKING down into the apartment below! Water was dripping out of their ceiling! Turns out they didn't tighten the seal between the water hose and the wall well enough, so they (Sears) have to come out and fix it. Over they phone they said, "Did you trying tightening it yourself?" and I said, "Did I not already pay you over $1000 to do it right in the first place?"
So now I wait for the repair guy. >:(
OMG!
well, on the upside (?), at least it wasn't water coming through *your* ceiling.
:-/
The repair guys are coming this afternoon (probably the same Mutt and Jeff that installed it in the first place). Once again I have to leave work early so that someone is there for them. We the (Homeowners Association) will obviously want Sears to pay for the ceiling and wall damages in the apartment below. That is my next task to look forward to. >:(
holy cats! that is terrible!
ew. my condolences. :-/
but you should definitely file a formal complaint with SEARS. my mom did that after a delivery snafu with some mattresses and they gave her a $50 gift card!
Post a Comment