the wall
i’m on day 27 of the plan, and i think i’m hitting the proverbial wall. that wall that marathon runners hit well into the race, when they know the finish line is looming but their body starts to shut down. the question becomes whether to push themselves through it, or to give up, reach for a gatorade and collapse in a heap by the curb.
only, in this case, it’s my brain saying, “um... how’s about we just sit down and call it a day? because i’m tapped, man.” (my brain, you see, is a hippie.) and for tonight, as far as writing something pithy or profound goes, i’m inclined to concede.
maybe it's because i've run out of things to say, or maybe it's because i'm tired but, several times today, i tried to sit down to write an entry and each time i wound up scrapping whatever lame, square peg i was trying to jam into the round of hole of a blog slot. nothing was working. everything sounded boring or stupid or completely directionless (this actual post included). ah well.
ironically, one of the other writing projects i’m working on right now involves the concept of circles, and that’s a bit like what i feel i like i’m doing with this entry: spinning my wheels. going in circles.
hitting the wall.
5 comments:
Telling yourself to write something profound is a sure way to write nothing. What a shot of freeze-up.
I sometimes think that the prompts I see teachers give students to get them to write deserve my response. Describe a ritual (a prescribed set of acts) that your family observes and draw the meaning this ritual has for you.
I like it when you tell us about some small thing you've seen. That is, I like it when you get concrete. So what do circles make you think of? Hula hoops? Water glass marks on a tabletop? Rings around rosies?
maybe what i should do is borrow some of those prompts to get me through the last three entries in the 30-day plan...
I like this plan!
Go Val go!
I dunno -- the suggestion that your brain is a hippie was, for me, worth the price of admission.
Actually, I used the example of your brain as a hippie in class today to talk about diction: "I'm tapped, man."
Post a Comment